CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 4, 2007

The illusion of security

I am not going to pretend that the fact our airports are not secure, is some new revelation. It is just my first time actually taking a moment to note the complete lack of competence in the TSA. I also never noticed that passengers have to pay $10 for each trip as a security fee. That makes me a customer, right?

So I am flying out of Baltimore Washington Airport and I decide to pay close attention to security. In basic training we went over some pretty basic security measures in case we had to guard something, although I'm not an expert I do think I can spot security, versus the illusion of security.

First they check my ID. This was the most "I could care less" check my ID has ever been given. The guy made sure the name on my ID matched my boarding pass and gave it back. The entire time he was looking at someone else that he was having a personal conversation with. He never once looked at my face, not even when I handed him the ID. I have had harder checks for a fake when I entered a bar at 1 am. It is 10 am and this guy has already given up on focusing on his job. Then I went through the carry-on X-Ray and metal detector. I am going to assume that the guy watching the screen was very skilled. I had a GPS, BlackBerry, 2nd Cell phone, all the needed cables for that and my laptop, an iPod, and tons of other work related items. Basically this bag was packed with electronic equipment. Not a single question. Again it is possible this guy is very skilled and knew what he was doing.

Yeah, I know I am being one of those annoying people that think their clever and they have spotted the loop hole in the system. That actually isn't the case, I swear. At some point we decided as a country the illusion of something is as good as the real thing. That goes for security, quality products, wealth, even happiness (Thank you Zoloft). I am just not going to be that person. I paid for this so called security and I am going to get what I paid for. Someone can blow up someone else's God damn plane.

Finally after all of this I went to the supervisor and attempted to ask him why no one looked at my face when they checked my ID. He told me they are looking for fake ID's more than anything else. I then asked him why it would matter if it was "fake" or not, if you don't look at the face on the ID. So as long as you have a real ID regardless if it is yours, you are all set to fly, as far as the TSA is concerned. To this he responded "I will talk to the ID checker". This useless ass though that there wasn't a problem with their security.

We have to all be idiots to think that our simple minded, useless, let's all make it so we don't have to work government, is even doing a mediocre job at security.


 

PLEASE SOMEON FROM TSA COMMENT ON THIS

No comments: